Black mold is not only a costly problem, it can also cause potentially dangerous health complications. Be alert to the signs that you may have it in your home so that you can have it addressed before major issues occur.
What is Black Mold?
Stachybotrys chartarum, the scientific name for black mold, feeds on organic materials in many of the materials that are commonly found in a home. These include carpeting, insulation, drywall and more. It can be found in bathrooms, basements, ceilings and many other places, with the most common areas being basements and shower stalls. Anywhere moisture is allowed to accumulate could become a breeding ground. However, it can also come into a home from the outside, such as a vent or an open door or window. It can even come inside when it is attached to clothing, a pet or someone’s shoes.
Black mold often appears as spots and can come in several different colors. In addition, it often emits a musty odor.
One of the most common health complications associated with black mold affects the respiratory system. Sneezing, coughing and irritation of the mucus membranes are some of the most typical symptoms. Poisoning from black mold can also result in persistent headaches as well as chronic fatigue. In severe cases, vomiting and nausea can occur, as can bleeding of the nose and lungs.
If you have any sort of moisture intrusion affecting your basement, your home could be at risk of black mold. Have the problem fixed by the professionals with Basement Flood Protector and you will have peace of mind knowing you and everyone else in your home will be safe. Contact us online or call us at (847) 852-7150